A key step of the Sample Management workflow is the creation and relinquishment of a Chain of Custody (COC).
In Obzervr Capture, we digitize this process through the creation of an electronic Chain of Custody (eCOC). A field worker can collect samples using the Sampling and Laboratory workflow. The next step is to create an eCOC.
We added a Create COC button to the Sampling page to allow you to attach and relinquish a COC without leaving the Sampling page. We call this feature Quick COC.
How to create a Quick COC
- Navigate to the Obzerv phase and select Sampling.
- Add your Samples.
- You will see the Sample2. Click the progress circle for the sample reference numbers you want to create a COC for.
- You will get stopped if you have not set a default laboratory office for your samples. If you’re using a Laboratory that has multiple drop locations, Samples can be sent to multiple offices. To learn more, read Adding an Office to your Laboratory.
- Click Continue at the bottom of the screen.
- You will be sent straight to the Relinquish screen. Add the Receipt Number and Signature. These are optional entries and based on your organisational compliance process.
- Click the Relinquish option.
- Remember to Complete the Assignment to submit the eCOC to the laboratory.
Editing a Quick COC
- If you have completed the Assignment, you will not be able to edit a Chain of Custody on Obzervr Capture.
- A user with Obzervr Manager (Web Portal) access will need to mark the assignment as Uncomplete.
- You will need to Unrelinquish the COC. Click the thumbs up icon and a taskbar will appear with Unrelinquish as an option. Select Unrelinquish.
- Add or remove sample reference groups or containers as you choose.
- Re-relinquish the COC to update your changes.
- Re-complete the assignment or trip to resend the eCOC.
Note that you cannot create Quick COCs for Trips. You can only create a Quick COC for samples in one assignment.
Also, if you have collected samples which are in more than one Test Plan, a screen will ask you if you want to create a second COC. As the Test Plan is based off the quote supplied by the laboratory, creating a COC for more than one Test Plan is not possible.
However, it is possible to create more than one COC for a Test Plan. For example, if you create triplicate sample set, it will need to be sent to another laboratory.
- A Chain of Custody documents the Sample Management workflow.
- Create a Quick COC by selecting the progress circles next to the sample sets that you want to attach to a COC and clicking Create COC.
- Click the Thumbs Up icon to Unrelinquish a COC.
- It is not possible to create a Quick COC for a trip, only Assignments.
We'd love to hear your feedback. Please send a mail to Support@Obzervr.com with suggestions or comments. We are working hard to make every interaction with Obzervr a pleasant experience. We invite you to be part of the journey.
- To learn about the Sample Reference Number, read Sampling Frequently Asked Questions.